Faculty of Biotechnology and Food Engineering
Welcome to the Lab of Biopolymers For Food and Health
Our group aims at improving human health both by preventive nutrition and by diagnostic/curative biomedicine.
Our research focusses on biopolymers, their extraction, properties, and applications in food and nanomedicine.
Fundamentally we study biopolymer interactions with low molecular weight compounds in aqueous solutions.
Our studies encompass the whole range from basic physical chemistry, through in-vitro cell cultures and in-vivo animal studies, to human clinical trials.
Food & Dietary supplement applications include:
Extracting proteins and polysaccharides from new & renewable raw materials, like algae
Encapsulation of nutraceuticals for enrichment of foods & beverages
Maximizing bioavailability of antioxidants in food & dietary supplements
Targeted prebiotic particles for supporting probiotics in the gut microbiome
Enhancing protein stability by manipulating water structure
Nanomedicine applications include:
Anticancer drug delivery systems for diagnostics & treatment
Antioxidant delivery for prevention of radiation damages
Novel insulin delivery systems
הטכניון שותף בקונסורציום בינלאומי שיעצב את עולם המזון בעשור הקרוב, בעקבות זכיית הקונסורציום בתחרות של המכון האירופי לחדשנות וטכנולוגיה ובמענק של 400 מליון יורו
Recently Published paper and Cover Image:
Re-assembled casein micelles improve in vitro bioavailability of vitamin D in a Caco-2 cell model
Yifat Cohen, Moran Levi, Uri Lesmes, Marielle Margier, Emmanuelle Reboulc, and Yoav D. Livney *
A TV news cast in AlHurra, about the casein nanovehicles for gastric cancer treatment.
The Milky Way for overcoming drug-resistant Gastric Cancer:
A paper published in Oncotarget.
Upcoming invited talks in International conferences
Recent conferences our work was presented in:
- “Quadrugnostic” Nanomedicine for Overcoming Anticancer Drug Resistance and for Diagnostics, Ravit Edelman PhD, Yehuda G Assaraf PhD, Inna Levitzki BSc, Tal Shahar BSc, Anton Slavkin BSc1 & Yoav D. Livney PhD, International Conference and Exhibition on Nanomedicine and Drug Delivery May 29-31, 2017 Osaka, Japan
- β-casein nanovehicles for oral delivery of chemotherapeutic Drug combinations overcoming P-glycoprotein-mediated multidrug resistance in human gastric cancer cells
Maya Bar-Zeev MSc, Yehuda G Assaraf PhD & Yoav D. Livney PhD, International Conference and Exhibition on Nanomedicine and Drug Delivery May 29-31, 2017 Osaka, Japan
- Ravit Edelman, Yehuda G Assaraf*, Inna Levitzki, Tal Shahar, Anton Slavkin & Yoav D. Livney*, “Quadrugnostic” Nanoparticles for Overcoming Anticancer Drug Resistance and for Diagnostics, The International Conference on Emerging Trends in Nanomaterials Science & Technology (ICETNMST – 2017) January 4th-6th, 2017
- Gal Israeli – Lev, Marina Pitchkhadze, Sahar Nevo, Lulu Fahoum, Esther Meyron- Holtz and Yoav D. Livney, Harnessing proteins to control crystal size and morphology, for improved delivery performance of hydrophobic bioactives, using genistein as a model, 3rd World Congress and Expo on Nanotechnology (Nanotek-2016) Singapore, November 07-09, 2016.
- Yoav D. Livney, R. Edelman, Y. G. Assaraf, “Quadrugnostic” Nanoparticles for Overcoming Anticancer Drug Resistance and for Diagnostics 3rd World Congress and Expo on Nanotechnology (Nanotek-2016) Singapore, November 07-09, 2016.
- R. Edelman, I. Kusner, R. Kisiliak, S. Srebnik, and Y.D. Livney, Sugar Stereochemistry Effects on Water Structure and on Protein Stability: The Templating Concept. Stereochemistry, August 18-19, 2016 Sao Paulo, Ibirapuera, Brazil (Virtual oral presentation).
- R. Edelman, I. Kusner, R. Kisiliak, S. Srebnik, and Y.D. Livney (Keynote speaker), Sugar Stereochemistry Effects on Water Structure and on Protein Stability: The Templating Concept. International Symposium of the Properties of Water (Isopow 13) June 26-29, 2016, Lausanne, Switzerland.